Being active at the biggest political student party of Groningen
You can join and get active at the SOG by participating in one of our committees. In total, we have five committees which are all working hard to organise their own events. These are (1) the Political Activities Committee (PAC), (2) the Societal Activities Committee (MAC), (3) the International Activities Committee, (4) the Editorial Committee and (5) the First-Year Committee. Click on the commmittees next to this text to see what they entail!
Are you looking to advance your political knowledge and take part in helping the SOG’s political engagement, then this is the committee for you.
The SOG is a political party, and the Political Activities Committee is a committee revolving around promoting and enhancing the SOG’s political engagement. This committee creates, designs, and initiates a few events a year with influential speakers, workshops, and takes part in the GrunnMUN.
Are you a student that cares about charity work, sustainability, volunteering, and overall creating events that are beneficial to Groningen, then this is the committee for you.
The Societal Activities Committee creates a few social events per year, involves itself in charitable events, and is about actively trying to improve the social wellbeing in Groningen. This committee aims to spread awareness and promote the SOG’s standpoints on critical issues such as sustainability.
Are you a student that cares about the integration between Dutch and International students, then this is the committee for you.
The SOG strives for conscious internationalisation. This committee helps the SOG integrate Dutch and International students with formal and informal events. They will become responsible for the activities that they create, and advertise for the SOG.
Are you a creative student with talents of writing, editing, or arts, and do you want to take part in helping the SOG create their annual magazine ‘the Ruggengraat’ which is published 3 times a year, then this is the committee for you.
The Editorial Committee will help the Secretary and the Commissioner of Internal Affairs of the SOG board to create the SOG’s personal magazine ‘the Ruggengraat.’ This magazine discusses topics such as student life to academic interviews, and is used as a promotional means for the SOG.
Are you a first-year student wanting to already advance your engagement in Groningen, take lead in helping other first-year students, and create social events, then this is the committee for you.
The First-Year Committee is a new committee that will help promote the SOG among the first-year students. This committee will be in charge of creating social events, where the activities can be more informal and celebratory, and encourage other students to become members of the SOG.
Which functions can you fulfil in each committee?
Each committee consists of a chairman, secretary, treasurer, promotion/event manager and acquisition manager. The role of each function is the same in each committee. What each function entails is explained below.
- Chairman – As a chairman of a committee you will be in charge of overseeing the other positions, and be a representative figure of the committee during the GMM and the main contact person for the board.
- Secretary — As a secretary of a committee you will be in charge of administering information, keeping the minutes, and organizing the agenda.
- Treasurer — As a treasurer of a committee you will be in charge of all the financial means and documents during the year. You will have to log every revenue, loss, and costs, and regularly update the board with financial statements.
- Promotion/event manager — As a promotion/event manager of a committee you will be in charge of advertising every event. This requires creative skills and regular contact with the PR team of the SOG.
- Acquisition manager — As an acquisition manager of a committee you will be in charge of finding the acquisition/settings for the events to take place.